Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tempo-ish

I was hoping to join Mike Greene for some speed work this morning, but I was just up too late last night. I don't think I could have made it on 5 hours sleep, so I slept a couple of extra hours and did my workout at lunch today. It was HOT! The next time that I'm tempted to stay up too late, I'll remember how miserable today's workout was.

My training plan calls for 2 x 3 miles at tempo pace. Well, I didn't quite make it. I did a brief warm-up because of the heat. Then I did 2 miles, stretch, then 3 miles, then 2 miles cool-down. Today's workout could be considered slacking. Wow. 7 miles is slacking. What am I trying to do?

7:25
7:37
Stretch for about 5 mins for IT band.
6:50 (too fast!)
7:09 (about right)
7:21 (too slow... I'll blame the heat, but I could have given more effort)

I didn't stopwatch the two cool-down miles, but they were between 8 and 9 minute miles.

Mark Freeman showed me some stretches for IT band. I did those last night, this morning, and before my workout. My knee did not hurt until after the second mile. Then, after the additional stretch, it didn't hurt for the 3 tempo-ish miles. It was somewhat painful on the cool-down miles. But... This is the first run in a long time that it didn't hurt more than it did on the previous run.

No comments: