Saturday, September 6, 2008

11 Miler

Well, I went ahead and did my long run today. When I woke up, my legs were feeling fine, so I went for it. And besides, I knew my buddy Matt was waiting for me... I couldn't let him down. Nice run today, Matt. Thanks for the push.

I left my stopwatch at home, so no splits. But my iPod with Nike+ kept track of the overall run. Just a shade over 11 miles in 1:31 that comes out to about an 8:17 per mile pace. That is NOT where I wanted to be at all, but I finished. Today was more about mental toughness than speed. I was fatigued, but I wasn't hurting. I wasn't having trouble breathing. My heart rate seemed under control. But something in me started saying "STOP!" at about mile 5. And I just gutted it out and finished. I had to "reachdown" and find some energy to finish. I'm looking forward to the day off tomorrow.

After the run, I helped some friends move a piece of furniture. They probably wish I hadn't run today. :)

RE: the pace...

My good friend at work, Angie, told me that I probably shouldn't be running race pace when recovering from injury. I had a "DUH!" moment. That's so obvious, but I didn't figure it out until I heard someone say it.

No comments: