Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Running Rewards

It's really hard for to imagine how that running could could be more rewarding to me than it has over the past few weeks, or even the past couple of days. Yesterday, I did a very challenging speed workout. The start time was an obscene 4:15 AM because of my schedule that day. I didn't ask for or expect it, but my usual speed workout partners showed up and pushed me for that workout. I may not have begun or survived it alone. I've felt better ever since knowing that I did that workout.

Then, today's run was just great. I ran a cool, rainy, wet, awesome, historical, Washington, DC 10 (OK, 11) miler. I almost didn't go because I just didn't want to. But once I started, I didn't really want to stop! I ran an easy, leisurely 8:30 - 9:00 pace until the last 3 miles which averaged 7:35. It was a great day for a run. I was soaked to the bone when I got back to my room.

Along the way I met a congressional staffer who is training for an adventure race in a few weeks. We ran about 4 miles or so together and he gave me a unique perspective on business in Washington, DC. After chatting with him, I'm nowhere near as discouraged with our government as I was before our chat. Running definitely rewarded me for going out the door and bearing the first mile this morning. I saw things I wouldn't have seen without running and met people I wouldn't have met without running and learned things I wouldn't have known without running. Below is the route I ran.

1 comment:

W.Q. Duck said...

Yep.
That's what it's all about.