Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cotton Row Practice

I met Mike Greene this morning at 5:30 at the Cotton Row Run start. We ran the 10k course first (45:47, 7:23 avg. pace), then the 5k course (24:23, 7:52 avg. pace). I usually run easy on Wednesday, but I know that Mike won't let me do that. All in all, though, we did a very manageable mid-week pace with some fast sections mixed in.

I love the 10k course. I hope to run it several more times before Memorial Day so I can map it out in my mind before racing it. It is definitely a negative split course, which we did easily this morning. If you top the big hill in half of your goal time, you're in very good shape. One thing that I found interesting about this morning is that our lackadaisical effort of 45:47 beat my 45:53 race time from a year ago. I guess I've improved a little.

This morning was my first run on the CR 5k course. It's not as interesting as the 10k course. I probably won't run the 5k in addition to the 10k this year, but I'm still undecided. I wanted to run it easier, but it just didn't work out that way. It seems that once my body hits a 7:30 or faster pace, anything above 8:00 feels painfully slow. I can start at 8:00 or 8:30 and run that pace for 15-20 miles. But if I go faster, I can't seem to make myself slow down. the 7:52 pace felt VERY easy after the 10k run. That's a good thing, I guess.

No comments: