Thursday, June 18, 2009

Track Work

I don't know whether to curse or bless my neighbor. I didn't have a partner for today's track session, and I had almost talked myself into taking the day off. Well, at about 5:30 AM, the roofers started working on my neighbor's roof. There was no more sleeping! So, I just got up and went. I may have slept in if not for the noise next door. Leigh, on the other hand, she's not undecided at all. She didn't appreciate the banging none too much.

Lanier needs to do the workout early, like beginning at 5:00 AM. I just was not able to start that early any day this week. Next week, I will be. Matt is needing some time off for some soreness. So, it was just me. Track workouts are much more difficult alone. There's nobody to complain to during the rest.

I decided to mix it up a bit this morning based on my reading of Road Racing for Serious Runners I decided to do some 1200m intervals and jog instead of stop for rest. So I was aiming for 4 repeats of 4:45 per 0.75 mile with a 0.25 mile jog between. I was going to use the newly surfaced 400m track around the football field, but the football team was there practicing at 6:30, so I was back to the walking track. I did get to do a lap on the track before they started, and that new surface is NICE. It's springy!

  1. 4:46
  2. 4:45
  3. 4:59 (ugh)
  4. 4:46 (had to avoid traffic!)
1200's are interesting. That was my first effort at 1200's. I don't know why I haven't before. I guess I'm just a power of 2 guy and 3/4 is not a power of 2. They're long enough to be difficult. They're long enough that I can't console myself by saying, "Only one more" because one of those is beastly. I'll definitely try those again.

No comments: