Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Back To a Routine

This is a dangerous time of the year for me. I do not have a race circled. I'm sure I'll run several more races this year, but the next big target is the Rocket City Marathon. I don't have a schedule for every day right now. Without a schedule it's easy to skip workouts. Part of me wants to put something on the calendar so I don't skip workouts. Another part of me wants to force myself through this to be sure that this is a lifestyle change rather than just a new hobby that will pass. August (when marathon training begins) will be here soon enough. In the mean time, I want to average more than 50 miles per week with 2 or 3 quality runs each week. Simple, eh?

Yesterday I started a new resistance training routine. I've hit a serious plateau with my current routine, so I need something different. I'm now doing a full body workout 3 days per week instead of a split workout twice per week. I'm a little sore after yesterday's workout, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I need to chisel some fat off so I'm doing higher reps. Most exercises are 2 or 3 sets of 20 reps.

This morning I did a 10 miler through Athens. I just ran where I felt like running and however fast I felt like running, 10.1 miles total in just over 1:19. It was a very evenly paced run with most miles near 7:50 with a couple of 7:30's and an 8:25. I saw LOTS of people out walking or running this morning. That was nice! Athens is a town of wavers and greeters, that's for sure.

No comments: