Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tempo Run

The 50k schedule called for 8 miles today. I wanted to do 10, until the alarm went off. Then, I just wanted to sleep. I spent 10 minutes convincing myself to get up. Then I spent another 10 deciding whether to go to the gym and get on the treadmill or to run on the road because the weather was less than ideal (wet and windy). Then, I spent another 10 talking myself into going at all. By that time, I didn't have time to do 10 miles. But I went anyway.

I didn't really have a plan for the miles, which contributed to the debate I was having with myself. I've got to do better about this. Should I do all aerobic miles? Should I do speed work? Should I do tempo? I decided that tempo would be the best use of my limited time because I could get close to my goal mileage if I ran at a tempo pace. So I did 2 warm up miles, 5 tempo miles, and 2 cool down miles for 9 total. 6:59, 6:54, 6:59, 6:53, 6:39. I probably had another 7 minute mile in me, but I wanted to stop with the feeling that I could do more. The warm up and cool down were near an 8:10 pace.

All in all a decent workout for the day. I'm WAY glad that I talked myself into it.

1 comment:

Rae! said...

Good job for still getting out the door. I would have failed and stayed in bed.