Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Some Tempo Work

BRRRRRR!!! It was COLD this morning!!

The 50k training schedule called for 8 miles. I felt pretty good, so I did 10 and mixed in some tempo miles. I started with a 2 mile warmup at about 8:30 - 9:00. Then, I did 4 miles at what I thought would be tempo pace. I managed to stay at tempo for the first mile, then I inexplicably sped up. I was going to do 5 tempo if I felt like it at the end, but 4 burned me out pretty good.
  1. 7:10
  2. 6:53
  3. 6:46
  4. 6:49
If I had done them all at 7:10, I probably could have done 5. I finished up with 4 8:30-ish miles. While I was running the tempo, I was breathing too hard to drink. During that less than 28 minutes, my water turned to slush. I did not know it was that cold!!!

It was a great, if cold, start to the day.

1 comment:

Rae! said...

Your drink turned to slush wow!! That is cold.