Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday Morning Run

There were a few groups running this morning. Some were meeting in Elkmont to run the Rails to Trails 10k course. Others were meeting at Piney Chapel to go long on rails to trails. Carl, Matt, and I met in Athens to do to the usual 10 mile route.

I was planning to run from my house to the start, run the route, and then run home to get about 14 miles in. The travel at the end of the work week and yesterday's hot, miserable 16 miler had completely drained me. I slept through the alarm. I don't know what woke me up at 5:35, but I'm glad it did. I knew that I didn't have time to run to the Rec Center, so I got ready as quickly as possible and drove over. In the process, I missed Carl who was going to run toward my house to meet me. Sorry!

Today's run felt much better than yesterday's. I was running a quicker pace at about 10 beats per minute lower heart rate. It could be the temperature. It could be that I'm recovered from travel. It could be that I had a partner. It could just be a better day.

After the 10 mile route, I ran 4 more at the track and greenway. I got 3 of those miles in at marathon pace. I need marathon pace practice. I still struggle to find that rhythm. Anyway, today was a very good run and restored a bit of confidence!
  1. 8:30
  2. 8:00
  3. 8:17
  4. 8:20
  5. 8:12
  6. 8:11
  7. 8:00
  8. 7:57
  9. 7:59
  10. 7:57
  11. 8:11 (I know, not close to MP, but I was standing still talking at the beginning. The part I was running was at MP. I talked for about a minute before taking off.)
  12. 7:19
  13. 7:09
  14. 8:30 (out of gas!)

No comments: