Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Treadmill

I haven't run fast in a long time. I need to run fast more often. I really don't remember the last time I did speedwork. So, what better day than today?

I wanted to run outside badly, but I don't know the area here in Minneapolis and I don't have time to figure out a place to run here. So, I visited the dreaded treadmill. The good thing is that speedwork is tolerable on a treadmill. So I thought. Ugh. It was miserable. I wanted to do 4 x 1 mile repeats, but I could only do 3.5, but I did run them fast.

I set the incline on 1.5 and the pace on 6:14 or 6:18, whatever 9.6 mph is. I did the first mile at that pace, and took 2 minutes rest. The second mile was the same pace, except that I sped up to 6:00 (10 mph) for the last 0.25 of the second mile because I wanted it to be over. I slowed down to 9.3 mph (6:27 min/mile) for the third because I was spent! I considered not even trying the fourth. It really took some determination to get back on the treadmill. I talked myself into doing 0.5 miles. 0.25 at 6:27 and 0.25 at 6:00 just because I wanted it to be over. I walked about a half mile to cool down.

I like to think I could have finished this workout if I had been outside. I probably would have run slower, but I think I would have finished. Next Tuesday, I'll do some 800's.

Miserable workout, but I guess these workouts build character and add speed. Tomorrow, it'll be below 0 F, so running outside is not an option tomorrow. Treadmill again.

No comments: