Sunday, March 22, 2009

Athens 10 miler

We just keep getting a good turnout for this run. 5:45 AM at the Athens Rec Center every Sunday for 10 miles at your pace. The chances are that someone else there will be running your pace. Today, we had 9 folks, 10 counting Matt who was a little late because he ran 5 miles before meeting up with us. 10 miles at 5:45 AM is long enough and early enough for most folks, but not Matt!

Because of the tough week I had last week with 62 miles and travel all mixed together, I was content to turn in an easy 10 miles this morning. I was mostly going just to see the people in the group. I had no intention of running hard. But Mike Greene was there. He made it clear early that he had no intention of running easy by pushing the pace near to 8:00 on the third mile. After that, we were running 7:30 and 7:20 miles before I knew it.

The good news is that it really wasn't that hard and I had a lot left in the tank at the end of the run. We were even able to pull off a 2 block sprint at the end. My Garmin tells me I hit a 5:42 pace during that stretch. I'm glad I didn't settle for 9:00 miles today. Thanks for the pull, Mike.

No comments: