Sunday, February 15, 2009

60 Mile Week!

Yesterday's 21.5 capped off my first ever 60+ mile week. I don't know if that's significant or not, but I've never broken 60 miles in a week before. I hope to be around 70 mile weeks training for Rocket City later this year.

Yesterday, I had Girl Scout cookie distribution obligations that began at 10:00 AM. I really wanted to get in a trail run since it was my last scheduled long run of the training. So, I got up at the obscene hour of 3:45 AM to drive over to Monte Sano. Leigh suspected that I was insane when I signed up for the Mount Cheaha 50k. Yesterday, I confirmed the insanity with my alarm clock.

Matt is with me in the insanity! He rode with me. We started by running the Cotton Row 10k course. I really like that course! When we got back to the trailhead, it still wasn't yet daylight enough to start running the trails so we ran an out and back up Bankhead. Then, we hit the trails for most of the 2nd half of Mt. Mist. All in all, it was a very hilly 21.5 mile road/trail run! And I made it home in plenty of time to help distribute cookies.

Today, I did the usual 10-ish mile group run in Athens. Attendance was low today because several Athens runners are running in the Winter Winds races this afternoon. A couple of others are running in the Mercedes Half Marathon in Birmingham. There were four of us, and it was a nice run. It was much cooler this morning that the past few days. I ended up with just a shade over 11 miles. The first 7 were 8:40-ish. The last 4 were 8:15, 7:52, 7:42, and 7:06. NICE! It was a FUN, strong finish!

Good luck to all my friends racing today!

No comments: