Monday, September 7, 2009

Nice Labor Day Run

Because Saturday was such a hard day and today is a holiday, I opted out of the Sunday morning 10 mile run. Instead, I met Matt and Scott for a few (6 or so) EASY miles on Sunday. It was hard to get started and I didn't want to, but I felt much better after the run than before it. That's a purpose of a recovery run.

Today, I met Carl and Matt to run the usual Sunday route. I ran over to the Rec Center, did the 10 mile city loop, did another loop around the track, and took a 2 mile route home to get 15 for the day. I think Matt was going for 20 today.

Todays run was nothing short of encouraging and invigorating! I didn't really feel good for the first 3 or 4 miles, but after that, I really felt great. My heart rate stayed in range for the entire run, even with a quicker pace. The 7:47 or so pace felt like I was holding back! I still had a lot of energy left when I got home after 15 miles, and I finished with a 7:41 mile. I probably could have gone 20 with Matt today, but that would have been overdoing it just a bit.

The Runner's World Quote of the Day today comes from Bill Rodgers and reads, "Your training partners are key to your success, and friendships based on your runs together are strong." Today, I see a lot of truth to that! Carl makes my Sunday runs faster. Matt makes me go a lot of mornings when I don't want to! And, the miles are filled with some great conversation.

No comments: