Saturday, September 12, 2009

Duck and Run 5k

Today was the big day! Athens' only race, the Duck and Run 5k. I would like to run this, but a 5k just didn't fit in my marathon training plan right now. So, I volunteered to help with the race. Volunteering was good for me because I got to see more of what goes in to putting on an event like this. Tanjie does a great job with this race! I appreciate her effort in putting on this event. I'm really glad that we have a race in Athens. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure this event continues!

I LOVE the course for this race! It's rolling but fast, if that's possible. It's shady and pleasant. If I were going to show someone the city of Athens, I'd pretty much take them on this course.

Leigh and the girls were working the aid station, and I was working the finish. It was my first time to work a finish, but I've run enough races to know roughly what needs to be done. Still, when a large group finishes close to one another, it's stressful! And people do pin through the hole that says, "DO NOT PIN". Please, don't do that.

Looking at the faces of the finishers reminds me of why 5k isn't my favorite distance! 5k's HURT if you run them right! I saw some misery at the finish line!

Results are here.

Local runner Tyrone Harris was the overall winner, very easily at 17:14. He always dominates this race, and we're happy to have him. Jon Elmore joined us from Decatur and took second overall and won the masters at 18:34.

Behind Jon was my good friend and training buddy Matt Davis! WOOHOO!!!! 3rd overall! 1st in the 30-34 AG!!! And... he broke 20:00 EASILY!!! He came in at 19:34. I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!!! WOOT!!!!!!! I'm super happy for my buddy!

Also, taking the 35-39 age group at about 24:23 was my good friend and new runner Lance Perry. Congratulations!!!

Congrats also to Whitney Hollingsworth for winning the female Masters. I didn't know the overall female winner, Tammy Hull. Congrats to Glen King, Phillip Stewart, Bud Bowen, Barry Pugh, Wendell Sandlin, Nancy Hardison, and Sharon Connealy for picking up hardware in the age groups. I'm sure I left someone out, but congrats!!

I'm really proud of my friends Matt and Lance. Awesome showing guys! It was as much fun seeing them do well as it would have been to run the race, and it didn't hurt nearly as bad as the last 5k I raced!

No comments: