Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Just a Bit Behind

I got behind on Sunday when I didn't get in my full 15 miles.

Then, yesterday called for a double, 6 miles in the AM and 4 miles in the PM. I only did a single, 6 miles in the AM. Today, I did a little over 8 miles with some strides instead of the scheduled 7, but I'm still behind.

I really have to be honest with myself. Doubles are going to be tough to fit into my schedule. On days that I'm scheduled for doubles, the second run has to happen at lunch or not at all. Once the afternoon hits, there just isn't any way I'm taking a precious evening hour away from my family to go for a run. If I wait until the kids go to bed, then I'm still taking time away from my wife. Also, then, I'd likely be cutting into sleep time, which would probably do more harm than good.

Rather than make excuses, I am going to do my best to clear my calendar for lunch on double days from now until the marathon. For two days in a row, I've had meetings during the noon hour. So this is a week that I've learned a lesson. Besides, the reduced mileage may make me fresher for the Ragnar Relay this weekend!

2 comments:

Eric Charette said...

Doubles are hard, but they are a great way to get in mid week big days when you need to be running 15 miles or so on a peak Wednesday. I try to get in 9-10 in the pre-dawn hours and then have just 5-6 left for after work. This is the best case because you maximize your rest. The 2nd best is a short 5 miles at lunch, which leaves you with a long 10 mile run at night. Either way, I'd sacrifice a little sleep once a week to work them in.

Eric said...

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to work in the doubles, but I haven't succeeded yet.

I'm on the AM 70-85 mile program, and the only doubles in that one are recovery doubles, and it maxes at 2 per week late in the program. If I can find a way to get one per week in, I'll be doing good.

So far, I've been getting up earlier and getting in the big days all at once in the morning.