Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Keeping on...

This has been a tough summer.  The heat and humidity started early, and with only a couple of days here and there, it has stayed consistently hot and humid.  Hopefully training through this will pay off.  In a way, I hate that I missed the early part of the summer.  I think gutting out a few more weeks of this brutal heat and humidity would have made me stronger.  That said, I'm ready for fall.  I'm ready to see if it's just the heat or if I have really lost that much conditioning.

Tuesday's run was about a 2.75 mile warm up, a 21 minute tempo run (6:44 overall pace, very consistent mile splits, 43, 44, 46), and a 2.7 mile cool down.  That 6:44 pace was much more difficult than it should have been. I could have run that pace for a little longer, but the heat was bearing down!  It was 77F with RH near 95%. I left pools in the kitchen floor (of course I cleaned up) as I was making my chocolate milk. I don't remember ever being that disgustingly sweaty and gross.

Today, I did spinning to give my legs a break from the pounding and to be ready for a big mid-week run tomorrow.  I followed spinning with a very lackadaisical effort with weights in the gym.  Is a lackadaisical effort better than no effort?  I hope so.

1 comment:

Dana said...

I think ...yes, it has to be.
:D