Friday, August 29, 2008

Races tomorrow!

I'm updating early today. I hope this is the last unplanned day off from running in my training. I'm aiming for 7:00 pace in both races tomorrow. That's probably optimistic, but I'm trying to become an optimist!

The scale was very unkind this morning. Up 5lbs this week???? One of my training buddies would just say, "chubs." Well, I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than I was!

Today was an upper body workout. I don't see how this will help my marathon training, but it can't hurt and it may keep my upper body from shriveling to nothing. I'll probably back off to two resistance days a week during most of the training.
  • 3 sets of 15 dumbbell bench presses, 55 lb dumbbells.
  • 3 sets of 15 leg raises on the ab bench (Actually, it was 18, 15, and 16. I really wanted to do 3x20, but I just couldn't squeeze out those last few reps. Ugh, those are hard.)
  • 3 sets of dips (12, 10, and 12)
  • 3 sets of 25 inclined ab crunches
  • 3 sets of 12 military dumbbell presses, 35 lb dumbbells.
  • 100 ab crunches on the Swiss ball
As I left the gym this morning, one of my buddies there said a small thing that was pretty encouraging. He said, "See you next week." He expects me to be there next week! He will be. We don't workout together or anything (He's WAY stronger than me!); we just chat between sets. But he's already made his decision to work out next week, and he expects that I have, too. That's the key. You don't decide daily to workout. The decision must already be made before the alarm chimes at dark:30 AM. You make the decision once and then just behave according to the decision you've made.

1 comment:

Dana said...

I LOVE THAT!!

"That's the key. You don't decide daily to workout. The decision must already be made before the alarm chimes at dark:30 AM. You make the decision once and then just behave according to the decision you've made."

I would very much like to quote you in my next post...and link to your blog. Please let me know if that is okay!