Thursday, January 21, 2010

Before Mountain Mist

I've been really lax in updating my blog lately. I wish I could say that it's because I've been running too much, but that's just not the case. I've had a couple of people get after me for updates, even this guy, so an update is due.

What Will Saturday Bring?
I have no idea what to expect this weekend. I haven't been in town all week, but word has it that there has been a drop or two of rain and some other nasty weather. First, I pray that all are well who were in the path of the storm. Second, I wonder how the course will be. Mud and slop are givens. Debris? Will the markers still be there?

I had in mind an "A" goal of around 5 hours. That goal assumed good training, good weather, good course conditions, and a good day. Well, I might have a good day, but the others are out! I haven't really set another target because I really don't know what I'll be capable of come Saturday. I'm just going to go as hard as I think I can go. Who knows what number that will be on the clock.

The temps will be warmer than I've been training in. The course will be slippery. Mud will cake on my shoes and weigh them down. I'll be wet for most of 31 miles.

The Week Before
Last weekend, I got in a couple of good runs. Mark and I did a head-lamp-lit pre-dawn 15 miler on the first half of the course on Saturday. We took it easy, except for a couple of sections.

After that, I played about 6 games of racquetball singles. Racquetball is great fun, but terrible cross training for distance running. I wish I could play more often. I've hardly touched a racquet in 6 months and I was still able to compete with the A players. It's also a sport that's about camaraderie. There was a very warm welcome back to the courts from the usual players.

Sunday's 10 miler with Lanier and Carl was a good run as usual. For some reason, we were about a minute off of our usual 10 mile time. On Monday, Matt and I did a 9 miler just for fun.

And that, friends, was my last run. I woke up early to catch a plane to Denver on Tuesday, and it's been crazy since. I've been tapering, I guess, except for the good rest and sleep. My diet has been garbage and my hydration has been out of whack. I've been going to bed late and getting up early with still no time for a run.

I hope to get in 4 or 5 miles tomorrow, but it doesn't look good. I'm typing this in DIA waiting for my delayed flight. Who knows when I'll get in to Huntsville. And tomorrow is absolutely booked from early to late with meetings. An early morning run doesn't look promising and there simply isn't any time later in the day.

Ugh. I'm on the more carbs and fewer miles training plan right now. I should be really tapered and carbo loaded for Saturday.