Friday, January 1, 2010

2009 Running Review

Why not do a year end review? I honestly find it difficult to believe that I've been at this for less than 2 years. Running is so much a part of my daily routine and lifestyle that it seems like I've been doing this all my life.

I ran more than 2600 miles this year, including 15 races. I made more progress at all distances than I expected. I hope I can continue that type of progress for the next 2 or 3 years.
  • The year started with a better than expected 2:06 and 11th overall effort at the Black Warrior 25k in the Sipsey Wilderness. That was followed with a leisurely run at the Mount Cheaha 50k.
  • I had one of my best races of the year at McKay Hollow Madness Trail Run in March. The time and finishing position weren't that great, but that was the only race this year that I can truly say that I gave it everything I had. I had shingles during that race and didn't know it. I hadn't rested for a week before because of the shingles pain. I was in pain, fatigued, and generally miserable. I battled cramps and gave it all I had that day. I left that race and went to the doctor! I'm most proud of that effort, but not necessarily the result.
  • April saw both a 5k and a 10k PR. River City Run was the Alabama 10k State Championship and I was second in the age group and set a PR with a 40:57. Cookie Dash 5k was a last minute decision that turned into a 19:26 PR.
  • I had a miserable outing at the Cotton Row Run 10k with a 41:54.
  • During the summer I learned the effects of heat on race times and had some bad times on some races in the Shoals.
  • Rocket City Marathon training started in August and included several HTC races as part of my preparation.
  • I ran the DC Ragnar Relay in September for the experience of a lifetime!
  • I leveraged my marathon training fitness for good outings at the Monte Sano 15k (1:01:44), the Huntsville Half Marathon (1:28:13), and the Spooktacular 5k (18:52).
  • BQ in December!!!
Another thing that happened this year is the Sunday morning 10 miler through Athens. Though participation in that weekly run has dwindled of late, it's been a very welcome fixture on my calendar. There have been as many as 13 to join for that run. It's been good to get Athens and Madison runners together on occasion for a fun run through my hometown.

I'm still thinking about my 2010 plans.

No comments: