Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Still not back

I took another 5 days off because of the calf. On Sunday, I thought it was 100%. I took off from the 10 miler to be sure. Not wanting to just be lazy on Sunday, I went to the gym. I was on the recumbent bike at the gym and about 50 minutes into the ride, that same calf just completely locked up. We're talking a serious Charlie Horse. I had to get up and walk it off, and it hasn't been the same since.

I ran Monday anyway (probably not wise), and after about 6.5 miles, it was very sore. It was sore for the rest of the day and is still tender today.

I had to be at work at 7:15 this morning, so I woke up at 5:00 hoping to get an easy run in. My leg was still sore, so I thought better of it. So I went to the 5:15 AM spinning class at the gym. That was a pretty good cardio workout. It did nothing for my endurance, though. I say that because I was sweating like mad during the class and was struggling at the end of each interval. However, 5 minutes after the class, it felt like I had done nothing. I liked the class, and I'll probably be back at least until my leg heals.

I feel like I'm going to have to spend the next 6 weeks strictly getting over this calf thing and building base for the training that starts in August.

1 comment:

Dana said...

I really hate to hear the calf is still bothering you. I know from my own experience just how frustrating it is. The main problem is there are so many explanations for it, all with different solutions. Six weeks rest is a cure-all....but it SUCKS!! So far, spinning (as long as I don't stand) hasn't hurt it at all. Heal up...sub-3 is calling your name!!