Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Battling Lee

Now those of you who know my wife's name is Leigh but don't know how to spell her name may misinterpret the title of this post. No, I didn't battle my wife today. I battled the remnants of tropical storm Lee. The wind was very stiff and the rain was yucky. I like running in the rain, but I don't really like running on the track in the rain and wind.

The track that I workout on has straightaways that face pretty much north and south. The prevailing winds are from the southwest around here. So, it's actually a pretty nice layout. There's a large stadium protecting you from winds from the west and there are tarps on the fence to the south to block some of those winds. But today the winds were out of the north. There was no protection. I felt like I was running to stand still.

Also, my legs felt totally dead today. I'm not sure what that was all about,but they just wouldn't turn over as quickly as I wanted them to. They were very heavy. Aerobically, I was fine, but my legs were just heavy. And running into a 18mph wind with gusts up to 30mph slowed me some, too. I think that's all the excuses I have for today.

11 miles total. 8 x 800m intervals with 400m jogs between. 2:58, 2:55, 2:54, 2:57, 2:53, 2:56, 2:56, 2:46. What a difference two weeks makes. Those were slower than I wanted. But I got them done and I did take some encouragement in the fact that I was the ONLY runner that I saw all day today. I didn't see another soul at the track, and I usually see a dozen or more people at that time of day. I am doing today what you won't so that later I'll be able to do what you can't.

1 comment:

rundanrun said...

Nice post. I liked the last sentence the best. I ran hills with Lee and my friend Brad White. It was refreshing and we were the only ones out at 5:30 AM.