Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Daydreaming

If you've read this blog long enough, you'll know that I occasionally ramble for no good reason. Today is a rambling day.

Workouts... I had a good one today. I did 11 miles with 6x800m intervals at 2:50. I was wildly inconsistent, 2:54, 2:47, etc., but I averaged under 2:50 and finished strong with a 2:46 and a dry heave. Saturday was a miserable, hot 18 miler on the XC course after volunteering at the triathlon. I hated that, and that pretty much firmed up my decision to never ever run recover from the holidays 50k. Well, actually, I'll probably run it this year.

I honestly feel great physically and for the first time in a long time, I'm excited about running again. Actually, I'm kinda excited about life again. Dark times pass, but sometimes you have to take action (sometimes drastic) to make them pass. Man, it's nice to have some optimism back.

Back to running. I have this love hate relationship with the track. Man, I didn't want to go this morning. That alarm went off, and I rehearsed at least a dozen excuses not to run this morning. You know what got me out the door? It was as simple as the fact that I had my running clothes laid out. No, that doesn't always work, but it did this morning. I didn't want to leave them there all day. My Nike Lunaracers were right next to my clothes, so today seemed like a good day to go to the track.

I spent the first 2.5 miles trying to talk myself into going to the track. I knew it would not be pleasant because it never is. But the weather sure was nice. And I had on my racing flats. How silly it would be to run an easy 10 miles in my racing flats. So, I was able to convince myself to go to the track. I secretly hoped that the track would be closed when I got there, but it was open. Now, I have to do it. Boy, I'm glad I did.

Optimism... I spent my getting ready for work time today daydreaming. I have two numbers in mind. Sub 18:00 for the 5k and sub 3:00:00 for the marathon. I spent my time imagining running 17 something at Spooktacular and 2 something at an early 2012 marathon. I have this silly condition where that I imagine I'm faster than I really am. But I once imagined running a Boston Qualifying marathon, and I did it. I once imagined breaking 19 for the 5k, and I did it. So, I'm going to keep on daydreaming about sub-18 and sub-3. Yeah, I'll probably need to put in some long runs, tempo runs, hills, and intervals on the track, too. But daydreaming about it sure won't hurt, will it?

3 comments:

April said...

Wow! Those are some fast 800's!
I have no doubt you will have that sub 18:00 5k and sub 3:00 marathon!

So glad you are feeling more optimistic these days.
Dreaming is what pushes us harder...the possibility of that dream coming true! I've got my sights set on that BQ.:)

Happy Running!

Jane said...

Laying out the running clothes the night before is HUGE for me. Like you said, it doesn't always work, but for me it is a huge help with those excuses that run through my mind when I hear that alarm clock. :)

rundanrun said...

I don't do track, but I do hill intervals... It is my hardest workout of the week... I have to really talk myself into them... I think you will make those goals and have to imagine new ones...