Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Another Tempo

I finished a lackadaisical week of training last week. I took a couple of days off just because work hours were ridiculous and my body said that it needed the rest. My body was literally shutting down on the couch as soon as I got home at 9:00 PM. Showing up at 7:45 and working until 9:00 leaves little time or energy for running, but I somehow managed 60 miles for the week anyway. So, while last week wasn't ideal, I somehow got enough miles in to not go backwards.

This week, I ran the Sunday morning 10 miler faster than we have in a while. 1:18 or so. I wanted to run faster starting at about mile 4, but there was some resistance. Then after mile 5, Carl told me I was speeding up and I told him it was on purpose and he came along. And he pushed me even more towards the end of the run. It felt better than it has in a while.

Today, instead of eating lunch, I ran 10 miles with 5 miles at tempo pace, which I think should be about 6:30 per mile.  That's probably too fast for my current fitness level, but I'm not going to let myself believe that. It was warmer than it has been in a while, but it was really nice running weather. I ran the 5 miles at a 6:31 average pace, but I was fading fast at the end. It was a struggle just to get one foot in front of the other.  I thought I was going to throw up, and my stomach has been sick, sour, and upset ever since. I don't handle lunch time runs as well as early morning runs for some reason.

I'm going to keep on preparing as if I can run a 3:00 marathon. We'll see, but 3:05 is much more realistic.

1 comment:

The O'Neill's said...

fun ... we can run together until the 10k race at the end