Saturday, September 20, 2008

Duck and Run 5k, a PR

Wow, today was a TON of fun!

First things first... BIG PROPS to Tanjie Schrimsher for putting on such a fun event. She did a great job with this event. This is the first race that I've ever seen with homemade cookies at the finish. YUM!!! I'm really glad to have an annual race in my hometown. Thanks Tanjie! It was great to meet you today.

Also, I got to meet a lot of local runners, Tyrone, Glenn, Mark, Phillip, Whitney, Brian, Tim, and others that I may have forgotten. That was the best part. I heard several of you say, "Oh yeah, Eric, I read your blog!" Thanks for reading! Look for me at other races, and of course at the Rocket City Marathon.

And a big congrats to my buddy Matt for taking 1st in his age group in only his second 5k ever! Nice run Matt! As Mike said to him, "Are those hills worth it now?"

And finally, I took my age group with a 20:40. One of my goals was to run a 20 minute 5k before the marathon. 20:59 would have worked, but I'll take 20:40. Nice job to the young man, Matthew, I think was his name, finishing his first 5k and first race ever who held me off on my push at the end to finish at 20:39.

Splits were 6:06 (way faster than I planned) for mile 1 and 7:00 for mile 2 . I missed the 3 mile split, but the last 1.1 was 7:34. It was probably something like 6:55 and 39 or so. I should have finished stronger.

I'm sure Tanjie's blog will have the official results when available. I'll also link them here. Put this race on your calendar for next year. It's well worth it!

No comments: